Friday, May 23, 2014

A Timely Cent

May 23, 2014

I've seen that penny before. Everything started to spin as I stared down at the lone penny in the otherwise empty room. I couldn't take my eyes off that penny. I knew this was a deja vu moment. The universe was giving me another chance.

 Tucker was not my type, but I was lonely and he was a challenge. 47 and still single, or so I thought. He was actually 60 to my 41. 2 years later we're engaged and searching for the perfect house to buy - together. Tucker, Julie (my doe-eyed child from a previous blunder), and I would nestle in Marina Del Ray. Tuck and I were hell bent on flipping real estate together, so our first home purchase had to be a fast money maker.

 Yes, I'd seen some disturbing aspects of Tuck's persona, which I quickly fluffed off. 'Everybody has faults,' and 'no one is perfect', as my Pollyannic psyche would constantly remind me.

 And now, this penny staring at me; its copper tentacles reaching out, grasping my head, shaking loose the hypnotic trance from a seriously disturbed relationship. 'WAKE UP. WAKE UP,' the gleaming coin seemed to shriek. 'Pay attention now, and get out while you still can.'

 I've been here before, I just know I have. My knees buckled and I clung to consciousness. The importance of this event was not lost on my nearly catatonic brain. Unseen forces would either applaud or shake their heads in disgust depending on my actions once I came around.

 Neither Tucker nor the real estate agent realized what happened to me in that room. We continued with the walk-through. I really liked this house. It needed a lot of work. A 3 bedroom ranch with an in-ground pool; 2 desirable traits for a quick resale.

 I know what he's going to say, I thought as we were almost out the front door. He's going to say exactly what he's said on the last umpteen houses we've looked at in the last few months. 'This isn't the right one,' he'll mutter.

 Immediately Pollyanna jumped on my shoulder, wagging her prim and proper finger at me: "You don't know what he'll say this time, now do you? Don't be judgmental. Give him a chance. This time it's different. He'll surprise you."

 This time was different. I had the penny this time.

 "Well, what do you think?" Our growingly impatient broker was trying his best to make a sale.

 I looked at Tucker. No surprises there.

 "Could you excuse us for a few moments, please? Tucker and I need to talk."

 I steered Tuck back to the room with the penny. "Well? What about this one, Tuck?"

 Always calm and cool, Tucker looked at me, and I knew, I KNEW, and I was so glad I chose this room to have it out with him.

 "This isn't the right one, Cammie."

 "OK, Tuck."

 I turned and went for the front door. Tuck was right behind me, resting his protective arm over my shoulder; his confidence rested in my perfect obedience to his will.

 "I want to make an offer, Jim." I could feel Tucker's eyes boring a hole into the side of my skull. His grip on my shoulder tightened menacingly.

Jim said we could fill out the forms in the kitchen, and started back toward the house. Tucker was not pleased.

 "What are you doing, Cammie?"

 "This house might not be the right one for you, but it's the right one for me."

 With Pollyanna nowhere in sight, I didn't give Tucker his usual due. I left him with one immediate goal in my mind: making sure the penny went with the house.

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home