Thursday, September 3, 2015

Long Time Coming

'No one who puts his hand to the plow is fit . . .' Luke 9:62

Over the years, as I have aged, I see that for everything in the physical/natural world there is a corresponding truth in the spiritual/supernatural world.

Today I read a meme from a Facebook friend. She posted a chart of the human anatomy and the relationship between physical ailments and negative thinking. For example, I've been having some knee issues. According to the chart, stubbornness, the inability to bend, etc., can manifest themselves physically in a person's knee/s.

I don't recall the author's name and/or name of the book, but a few years ago I watched a television interview of an author who wrote a detailed book about negative thinking and cancer. If you have some time I suggest researching that topic. There is scientific research with hard evidence linking cancer to negative thoughts, stress, etc.

So here I sit at this computer desk, 54 years old, humbled and still in need of humility.

Luke 9:62. What a simple truth. If you put your hand to a plow you don't look behind and expect to plow forward. That is ridiculous! Now think about this: You have a plow. I'm assuming you know what a plow is and what it's used for, so you know that you need to pay attention when you are plowing. In fact, to plow in straight lines it is suggested you have a focal point to help you plow straight; that way you don't end up with a zig-zagged  field, or an angry seed-sower!

Bring this to our modern world. Picture yourself getting in your car and looking behind you as you try to drive forward.

And that is what a lot of us try to do in the spiritual/supernatural world. We go about our physical/natural world duties. We get up, perform daily tasks, go to work, take care of our family, etc. And yet our minds are looking behind. We live in the past. We are obsessed with the past. Or, as in my recent history, we lose focus on our present course of action and try to resurrect some old, bad ideas.

And we wonder why we have issues . . .

Me? I made a spiritual commitment. I uprooted myself from my hometown and moved to an area completely foreign to me. I left everything behind I could not pack into my Chevy van. I was moved by blind faith and trusted God completely.

I took a verbal beating from a handful of people who mocked my decision to leave; this from close family members. Yet I knew I was doing the right thing.

And then, in the midst of my nirvana-type setting, I started to look back. I lost my focus. Instead of moving forward I resurrected some old ideas. Basically, what I did was to leave my new plow for another. Ha! I cheated on my plow!!!

Seriously, though, when you think about that - when I think about that - I recall a scripture from James. James 4:4:

"Adulterers! Do you not know that to be a lover of the world means enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wants to be a lover of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

According to the footnote for this verse at www.biblegateway.com, adulterers is a "common biblical image for the covenant between God and his people is the marriage bond. In this image, breaking the covenant with God is likened to the unfaithfulness of adultery."

Consequently, here I sit at my computer, letting my readers know that I messed up. I lost sight of my spiritual/supernatural goals and pursued my own selfish interests. And I suffered in the physical/natural realm. I ended up homeless and broke. I left my promised land with almost nothing of real value. That was in early December of 2014, and I've been dealing with the aftermath of my "adultery" ever since.

So today, September 3rd, 2015, I officially and publicly repent of my spiritual adultery. I repent of my disobedience to my calling. I repent for walking in pride. I repent for trying to glorify myself. I repent and ask forgiveness for these sins in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. 

I made a mess for myself. I sowed bad seed in another field and I've been dealing with reaping that seed. 

Now it's time for me to return to the plow I abandoned. It's rusty and dirty. It's going to be a challenge, for sure. Even as I write these words I feel my mind rebelling. But then I remind myself of the consequences of rebellion. I have to steel myself against falling back into old, destructive habits. 

The Promised Land awaits!

mtk

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home