Monday, August 11, 2014

Kick the Dog Poetry

Perhaps this isn't a new thought, but it was new to me: Kick the Dog Poetry.

First and foremost: I DO NOT ENDORSE OR CONDONE ABUSE OF DOGS OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL.

Why "Kick the Dog" poetry? I had a very bad case of poison ivy a few weeks ago. I was absolutely miserable. Normally I love it when my 4 year old Shih Tsu mix follows me around the house. He's gotta be wherever I am - he's so darn cute! I'd never entertained an abusive thought towards him; that is, until that day when I thought I'd go mad from poison ivy's hold on me. I was in a world of hurt walking from one room to the next. He, Jabez, got under foot, and I had an incredible urge to kick the dog. I DIDN'T, and my conscience and love for my little guy almost instantaneously overrode that sinful urge. 

Kick the Dog Poetry is poetry written in response to anything and everything that causes anger, fear, or any other so-called negative emotion. Your cat clawed your new leather sofa? Write a poem about it. Someone cut you off in traffic? Write a poem about it. Feeling abused? Write a poem.

Here is my first Kick the Dog poem:
 
  1. Low Expectations
    by Marie-Therese Knepper

    I’m not mad at you
    Really.
    I’m mad
    At you -
    The not knowing you
    The disappointment of
    You

    What did I expect
    Really?
    A god; a servant clown.
    You made me laugh
    So what?
    I liked myself
    When I laughed

    How much was your life worth -
    Really
    More than being
    Silly -
    You fool.
    That’s why I’m mad
    About you.

    I think I’m sad
    Really.
    Sad for the loss of
    Youth’s innocence -
    Hollywood productions -
    Glittering stars -
    A perfect world.

    Now here I am old.
    Really
    Old enough to know
    That wishing doesn’t
    Make it so.
    Silly little ant,
    Times have changed.


    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home